As you know we have been in search for our next Lead Pastor. Through obedience to God and the processes of selection, Connections Church board has narrowed the search to one and has interviewed the candidate. The congregation will have the chance to meet the candidate after service SUNDAY 8/18. Please join us for a Q and A with the candidate and meet the family.
As you may know Pastor Ajay is resigning from Connections Church to Pastor South Portland Church of the Nazarene in Maine. Many of you have asked and have wondered what the future holds for Connections and what are the next steps for this church and our hiring of a new lead pastor.
Connections will continue to serve the needs of our congregation, the Arbutus/Halethorpe communities, friends in Baltimore, and the world, as long as God calls us to serve.
Below are the steps, as denominational members of the Church of the Nazarene, we will take in the calling process of a new pastor.
CONNECTIONS CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE
STEPS IN THE CALLING OF A PASTOR
1. The District Superintendent meets with the local church board to begin the process of calling a pastor. This includes the following:
a. Urging prayer as a necessary ingredient for determining God’s will.
b. Selection of interim pastoral arrangements (the interim pastor will not be considered as a candidate for pastor.)
c. Enabling the church board to develop a profile of the person that should serve as pastor.
d. Considering the records of those persons who are to be considered potential nominees for office of pastor.
2. The church board, under the direction of the District Superintendent, shall select a person as a possible nominee and arrangements will be made for a personal interview. The board will be expected to keep any names of potential pastors confidential, and it will be appreciated if the congregation honors this expectation.
3. Following the interview, the church board will meet in executive session to evaluate the information gained from the interview. Then a ballot vote will be taken as to whether this person shall be nominated to the church membership. If at least a two-thirds majority of the board members vote affirmatively, and the District Superintendent approves, the name will be presented to the church membership for formal voting.
4. In compliance with the requirements of the Church of the Nazarene Manual 2017-2021, the meeting of the church membership for voting on a prospective pastor will be announced in at least two preceding regular services.
5. Before voting, the congregation will have the opportunity to meet the pastoral candidate in order to get acquainted.
6. In the church meeting, all active members (age 15 and above) (owners is the term used by Connections Church) will be entitled to vote. The call of the pastor requires a two-thirds favorable vote by ballot of the church members of voting age present and voting. There is no allowance for absentee voting.
7. When the call is extended to the minister under consideration, the minister shall communicate acceptance of the call no later than 15 days from the dates of the church meeting voting that call.
As this is a new adventure for all, Connections Church, here is what we need you to do.
Pray for the current leadership ministry partners at Connections
Pray for the district leadership as they, in conjunction with Connections, start the processes of transition and succession
Pray for the Vyas family as this is a tough decision for them
Encourage Connections current leadership as these are interesting times
Encourage the Vyas family as stepping out and following God can be scary
Come to church to hear the gospel
Come to church to participate in life change
Come to church to participate in this transition
God is in control
God is with this church
God makes better plans than we do